between eight and ten years
How long should a shower last with a 40-gallon tank?
Although not every shower puts out the same amount of water, you can expect a 20 minute shower utilizing a standard-flow showerhead to use roughly 50 gallons of water. However, if you have a low-flow showerhead, you will only use about 40 gallons during a 20 minute shower.
Calculate the Btu. If you have a 40-gallon water heater, that is 40 multiplied by 8.33, or 333.2 pounds of water. So you need 333.2 Btu to raise the water 1 degree Fahrenheit. However, most areas need more than one degree of heat added to the water to make it warm enough for showering or washing clothes or dishes.
Tank Size or Tankless Water Heating Capacity
|Number Of People
|1 to 2 people
||20 to 30 gallon tank, $270 to $900
||2 to 3 gpm tankless, $250 to $600
|3 to 4 people
||30 to 50 gallon tank, $320 to $2,200
||3 to 5 gpm tankless, $400 to $700
|5 or more
||50-plus gallon tank, $400 to $3,000
||6+ gpm tankless, $500 to $900
Depending on your selection, the average cost for water heater installation is between $1,000 to $3,000.
1-2 people need a 30-gallon water heater. 2-3 people need a 40-gallon water heater. 3-4 people need a 40-50 gallon water heater. 5 or more people need a 50-80 gallon water heater.
A 30 gallon water heater should be able to supply enough hot water to meet the needs of a household of 1 -2 people with only one bathroom. A good way of measuring your hot water requirements is calculate your peak hot water usage and compare it the first hour rating of a water heater.
15 Best & Most Reliable Water Heater Brands in the World
- A.O. Smith. …
- Rheem. Rheem was founded in 1925 by two brothers, Donald and Richard Rheem – and with financial backing from a third brother, William. …
- Kenmore. …
- Bradford White. …
- American Standard. …
- American Water Heaters. …
- Bosch. …
- BEST OVERALL: Rinnai High Efficiency 6.5-GPM Tankless Water Heater.
- RUNNER-UP: A.O. Smith Signature 40-Gallon Water Heater.
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Sure Comfort 40-Gallon Natural Gas Tank Water Heater.
- BEST TANKLESS: Rinnai High Efficiency 7.5 GPM Tankless Water Heater.
Best Overall, Electric: Rheem Performance Plus 50 Gallon Electric Tank Water Heater. The Rheem Performance Plus series offers a combination of features and benefits that homeowners will appreciate in an electric water heater.
5 Things you Need to Know Before Buying a Water Heater
- Fuel Source. The most common residential water heaters run with gas or electricity as their fuel source. …
- Energy Efficiency. No matter which fuel source you choose, a water heater can be the third largest energy consumer in your home. …
- Storage Capacity. …
- Space Required.
Water Heater Sizes
For example, a family of 3 to 4 people should purchase a 50 – 60 gallon water heater. On the other hand, a household with 5 – 7 people may require a water heater with a 60 – 80 gallon water tank.