The company was later acquired by Hunt Manufacturing Company in 1925, and X-ACTO bought Hunt’s Boston sharpener line. Today if you want to get a relatively low priced, metal, hand-cranked planetary Boston style sharpener, X-ACTO still produce them in desk or vacuum mount.
People also ask, how do you empty a power me pencil sharpener?
The large transparent shavings reservoir rarely needs emptying and can be cleaned easily. Simply remove the shavings tray and empty it into a wastebasket.
Regarding this, how long do pencil sharpeners last?
A blade in a sharpener should last three to six months with normal use. I found a great manufacturer of sharpeners made in Germany called KUM (pronounced coom). They make lots of great sharpeners with replaceable blades and they sell replacement blades in many sizes.
How much is a Bostitch pencil sharpener?
Our prices on Bostitch Pencil Sharpeners start at $3.09 and go up to $209.99. With that range, it may be hard to find the Bostitch Pencil Sharpener that meets your budget.
HHC™ cutter technology for 65% faster sharpening** and 6x longer life. QuietSharp™ heavy duty motor for quiet, stall-free operation under normal use. Tip Saver Technology™ prevents over sharpening, extending pencil life. Safety switch prevents operation when shavings tray is removed. Easy Clean shavings tray.
- Best Overall: POWERME Electric Pencil Sharpener. …
- Best Budget: STAEDTLER Pencil Sharpener. …
- Best Electric: JARLINK Electric Pencil Sharpener. …
- Best Manual: X-Acto Ranger 1031 Wall Mount Manual Pencil Sharpener. …
- Best for Classroom: X-Acto School Pro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener.
Best Sharpener for Colored Pencils
- TripWorthy Electric Pencil Sharpener.
- Duet Battery-Operated/Manual Pencil Sharpener.
- Prismacolor Premier Pencil Sharpener.
- X-ACTO Electric Sharpener.
- Mobius & Ruppert Brass Round Double Hole Sharpener.
- Dahle Professional Pencil Sharpener.
- Derwent Super Point Manual Helical Pencil Sharpener.
The best pencils for drawing and sketching are a HB, 2B, 6B and 9B. Far better than buying a whole set of pencils, most of which will never be used.
Boston was founded in 1899; in 1999 they celebrated with a 100th anniversary sharpener. In 1913, their sharpener, the Boston Pencil Pointer, was selling for about $6. In the past, people were used to more expensive sharpeners or having to sharpen pencils by knife, which wasted the lead.
Although these X-ACTO branded sharpeners have their origins from the original Boston Pencil Sharpener Company, they are now made in China and the charisma is almost all gone.